Srikanta Tirthapurais an associate professor in Electrical and Computer Engineering at Iowa State University, with a courtesy appointment in Computer Science. He is also a part of the Software Engineering Faculty.
He received his B.Tech. in Computer Science from the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras in 1996, and his Ph.D., also in Computer Science, from Brown University in 2002, under the supervision of Prof. Maurice Herlihy. In the summer of 2013, he was a visiting researcher at Microsoft Research, Cambridge working on Algorithms and Systems for Big Data Analytics. In 2009 and 2010, he worked as a Consulting Member of Technical Staff at Oracle Corporation.
He has published more than 60 papers in top-tier conferences and journals in databases, distributed systems, and algorithms, and holds four US patents in the area of data mining and distributed systems. He received the IBM Faculty Award in 2013, and the Warren B. Boast Undergraduate Teaching Award in 2012.
He is interested in designing algorithms and software for analysis of massive data sets. In particular, he works on developing methods for real-time analysis of large data streams. Current projects:
- Real-time Analysis of Massive Graphs
- Anomaly Detection on Streaming Data
- Extracting Dense Substructures from Massive Graphs
Here is a list of Publications and Patents.
In Spring 2014, he will be teaching SE/CprE 419x: Software Tools for Large Scale Data Analysis, and its associated laboratory. This is a practice-oriented course that introduces the student to software techniques for large scale data analysis, including the "Hadoop" stack of software, and tools for Streaming Data Analysis. Assignments will be performed on the IBM Cloud.
See here for the Spring 2013 edition of this course.
In Spring 2014, he will also be teaching CprE 528: "Probabilistic Methods in Computer Engineering" See here for the previous edition of this course.
Other Recent Courses
- CprE 308: Operating Systems, Principles and Practice
- CprE 310: Theoretical Foundations of Computer Engineering
- CprE 528: Probabilistic Methods in Computer Engineering
For earlier courses, see here.
Current Professional Activities
- Review Board for VLDB 2014 (International Conference on Very Large Databases)
- Invited speaker at the Workshop on Big Data Analytics 2013, in Cambridge, UK.
- PAKDD 2014, Pacific-Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining
- BDA 2013 (Second International Conference on Big Data Analytics, Mysore, India)
For earlier professional service, see here.
Contact InformationOffice: Room 3212, Coover Hall, Iowa State University
Mailing Address: 2215, Coover Hall, Dept. of ECE, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011
Email: snt at iastate dot edu
(Voice) (515) 294-3546
(FAX) (515) 294-3637
© 2012 Srikanta Tirthapura
Template design by Andreas Viklund