Srikanta Tirthapurais an associate professor in Electrical and Computer Engineering at Iowa State University, with a courtesy appointment in Computer Science. He is also a part of the Software Engineering Faculty.
He received his B.Tech. in Computer Science from the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras in 1996, and his Ph.D., also in Computer Science, from Brown University in 2002, under the supervision of Prof. Maurice Herlihy. In the summer of 2013, he was a visiting researcher at Microsoft Research, Cambridge working on Algorithms and Systems for Big Data Analytics. In 2009 and 2010, he worked as a Consulting Member of Technical Staff at Oracle Corporation.
He has published more than 60 papers in top-tier conferences and journals in databases, distributed systems, and algorithms, such as (ACM conferences) SPAA, PODS, PODC, CIKM, and DEBS, and (IEEE Conferences) ICDCS, IPDPS, ICDE, etc, and holds four US patents in the area of data mining and distributed systems.
He received the IBM Faculty Award twice, once in 2014 and once in 2013, and the Warren B. Boast Undergraduate Teaching Award in 2012.
He is interested in designing algorithms and software for analysis of massive data sets. In particular, he works on developing methods for real-time analysis of large data streams. Current projects:
- Real-time Analysis of Massive Graphs
- Anomaly Detection on Streaming Data
- Extracting Dense Substructures from Massive Graphs
- Data Analysis Techniques for Cybersecurity
Here is a list of Publications and Patents.
In Spring 2014, he will be teaching SE/CprE 419x: Software Tools for Large Scale Data Analysis, and its associated laboratory. This is a practice-oriented course that introduces the student to software techniques for large scale data analysis, including the "Hadoop" stack of software, and tools for Streaming Data Analysis.
See here for the Spring 2013 edition of this course.
In Spring 2014, he will also be teaching CprE 528: "Probabilistic Methods in Computer Engineering" See here for the previous edition of this course.
Other Recent Courses
- CprE 308: Operating Systems, Principles and Practice
- CprE 310: Theoretical Foundations of Computer Engineering
- CprE 528: Probabilistic Methods in Computer Engineering
For earlier courses, see here.
Current Professional Activities
- Invited Speaker at Workshop on Streaming Graph Algorithms, Sandia National Labs, Oct 2014
- Program Committee of IPDPS 2015: 29th IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium
- Program Committee of SOFSEM 2015: International Conference on Current Trends in Theory and Practice of Computer Science
- Program Committee of CIKM 2014: ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (Knowledge Management Track)
- Program Committee of BDA 2014: Third International Conference on Big Data Analytics
- Review Board for VLDB 2014 (International Conference on Very Large Databases)
- Invited speaker at the Workshop on Big Data Analytics 2013, in Cambridge, UK.
- PAKDD 2014, Pacific-Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining
For earlier professional service, see here.
Contact InformationOffice: Room 3212, Coover Hall, Iowa State University
Mailing Address: 2215, Coover Hall, Dept. of ECE, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011
Email: snt at iastate dot edu
(Voice) (515) 294-3546
(FAX) (515) 294-3637
© 2012 Srikanta Tirthapura
Template design by Andreas Viklund