Last revised in May 2018
A. Peer, R. Dhakal, R. Biswas, and Jaeyoun Kim, "Nanoscale Patterning of Biopolymers for Functional Biosurfaces and Controlled Drug Release,"
Nanoscale, 8, 18654, 2016
- Selected for Back Cover
Jaeyoun Kim, "Microscale Soft Robotics: Motivations, Progress, and Outlook,"
Springer Nature, 2016
- Over 1000 downloads!
J. Paek, Q. Li, I. Cho, and Jaeyoun Kim, "Minimally intrusive optical micro-strain sensing in bulk elastomer using embedded Fabry-Perot etalon," Micromachines, 7, 61, 2016
J. Paek, I. Cho, and J. Kim, "Microrobotic tentacles with spiral bending capability based on shape-engineered elastomeric microtubes,"
Scientific Reports, 5, 10768, 2015
- New Scientists (as "Picture of the Day")
- Popular Mechanics
- Popular Science
- NBC News
- CNET ("THIS WEEK'S MUST READS #1")
- Business Insider
- National Science Foundation (Main Banner)
- Scientific Reports Facebook
- YTN (Korean News TV) (Interview)
- Asia Economy (Korean Newspaper)
- Chosun Ilbo (Korean Newspaper)
J. Paek and Jaeyoun Kim, "Bokeh microscopy-enabled microfluidic channels for facile point-of-care monitoring," Biomedical Microdevices, 17, 13, 2015
J. Paek and Jaeyoun Kim, "Microsphere-assisted fabrication of high aspect-ratio elastomeric micropillars and waveguides,"
Nature Communications, 5, 3324, 2014
- Highlighted in Photonics Spectra
- Highlighted in Optics and Photonics News
- Selected as "Late News" in Hilton Head Workshop 2014
- Selected for oral presentation in MicroTAS 2014 (< 9%)
Jungwook Paek and Jaeyoun Kim, "Building Freestanding Elastomeric Waveguides: Exploring an Emerging Field," Optics & Photonics News, 11, 18, 2014
Jaeyoun Kim, "Absorption-assisted mode transformation in butterfly compound eyes,"
Scientific Reports, 4, 6291, 2014
R. Dhakal and Jaeyoun Kim,
"Elastomer-based opto-thermo-mechanical actuation for autonomous, self-powered light level control,"
Applied Optics, 53, 5712-5719, 2014
R. Dhakal, J. Lee, and Jaeyoun Kim,
"Bio-inspired thin and flat solar concentrator for efficient, wide acceptance angle light collection,"
Applied Optics, 53, 306-315, 2014
- Selected for Virtual Journal for Biomedical Optics
Jaeyoun Kim, "Bioinspired non-imaging optics" in Handbook of Biomimetics and Bioinspiration: Biologically-Driven Engineering of Materials, Processes, Devices, and Systems.
Jaeyoun Kim, "Joining plasmonics with microfluidics: From convenience to inevitability (invited),"
Lab on a Chip, 2012
J. Lee, J. Paek, and Jaeyoun Kim, "A biomimetic mass-flow transducer utilizing all-optofluidic generation of self-digitized, pulse code-modulated optical pulse trains,"
Lab on a Chip, 2012
J. Lee, J. Paek, and Jaeyoun Kim, "Sucrose-based fabrication of 3D-networked, cylindrical microfluidic channels for rapid prototyping of lab-on-a-chip and vaso-mimetic devices,"
Lab on a Chip, 2012
- Cited in Lab on a Chip's Research Highlight
- Appeared in Nanotechnology Weekly
Y. Liu, R. Dhakal, V. Dalal, and Jaeyoun Kim, "Polarization-diverse light absorption enhancement in organic photovoltaic structures with one-dimensional, long-pitch metallic gratings: Design and experiment,"
Appl. Phys. Lett. 101, 233904, 2012
Y. Liu and Jaeyoun Kim, "Plasmonic Modulation and Switching via Combined Utilization of Young Interference and
Metal-Insulator-Metal Waveguide Coupling," Journal of Optical Society of America B, v. 28, 2712-2717, 2011.
J. Lee and Jaeyoun Kim, "Elastomeric microwire-based optical gas flowmeter with stretching-enabled tunability in measurement range," Optics Letters, v.36, 3789-3791, 2011.
J. Lee and Jaeyoun Kim, "Fabrication of strongly anchored, high aspect-ratio elastomeric microwires for mechanical and optical applications," Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, v.21, 085016, 2011.
- Y. Liu and Jaeyoun Kim, "Polarization-diverse, broadband absorption enhancement in thin-film photovoltaic devices using long-pitch metallic gratings," Journal of Optical Society of America B, v.28, pp.1934-1939, 2011.
- J. Lee, Z. Ye, K.-M. Ho, and Jaeyoun Kim, "Two-dimensional optofluidic liquid-core waveguiding based on optimized integration of single- and multiple-layer," Journal of Optical Society of America B, v.28, pp.489-494 2011.
- Y. Liu and Jaeyoun Kim, "Numerical Investigation of Finite Thickness Metal-Insulator-Metal Structure for Waveguide-based Surface Plasmon Resonance Biosensing," Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, v.148, pp. 23-28, 2010.
- Y. Liu and Jaeyoun Kim, "Characteristics of plasmonic Bragg reflectors with insulator width modulated in sawtooth profiles," Optics Express, v.18, pp.11589-11598, 2010.
- Jaeyoun Kim, R. Soref, and W. Buchwald, "Multi-peak electromagnetically induced transparency (EIT)-like transmission from bull's eye-shaped metamaterial," Optics Express, v.18, pp.17997-18002, 2010.
- Jaeyoun Kim, "Numerical investigation of quasi-coplanar plasmonic waveguide-based photonic components," Optics Express, v.16, pp.9691-9700, 2008.
- Jaeyoun Kim, "Surface plasmon-polariton waveguiding characteristics of metal/dielectric quasi-coplanar structures," Optics Letters, v.32, pp.3405-3407, 2007.
- K.-H. Jeong, Jaeyoun Kim, and L. P. Lee,
"Biologically inspired artificial compound eyes,"
Science, v.312, pp.557-561, 2006
- Highlighted in New York Times
- Highlighted in Nature
- Highlighted in San Francisco Chronicle
- G. L. Liu, Jaeyoun Kim, Y. Lu, and L. P. Lee, "Fluorescence enhancement of quantum dots enclosed in Au nanopockets with subwavelength aperture," Applied Physics Letters, v.89, 241118, 2006.
G. L. Liu, Jaeyoun Kim, Y. Lu, and L. P. Lee,
"Optofluidic control via photothermal nanoparticles,"
Nature Materials, v.5, pp.27-32, 2006.
- Highlighted in Chemistry World
Jaeyoun Kim, K.-H. Jeong, and L. P. Lee,
"Artificial ommatidia by self-aligned microlenses and waveguides,"
Optics Letters, v.30, pp.5-7, 2005.
- Jaeyoun Kim, G. L. Liu, and L. P. Lee, "Lens-scanning Raman microspectroscopy system using compact disc optical pickup technology," Optics Express, v.13, pp.4780-4785, 2005.
- Highlighted in Biophotonics International (August, 2005)
- Jaeyoun Kim, G. L. Liu, Y. Lu, and L. P. Lee, "Intra-particle plasmonic coupling of tip and cavity resonance modes in metallic apertured nanocavities," Optics Express, v.13, pp.8332-8338, 2005.
- G. L. Liu, Y. Lu, Jaeyoun Kim, J. C. Doll, and L. P. Lee, "A magnetic nanocrescent Raman probe for functional in vivo cellular nanospectroscopy," Advanced Materials, v.17, pp.2683-2688, 2005.
- G. L. Liu, Y. Lu, Jaeyoun Kim, Y. Mejia, and L. P. Lee, "Nanophotonic crescent moon structures with sharp edge for ultrasensitive biomolecular detections by local field enhancement effect," Nano Letters, v.5, pp.119-124, 2005.
J. Kim's Ph.D. work
- Jaeyoun Kim, G. Y. Li, and K. A. Winick, "Ag-exchanged glass waveguide optical add-drop multiplexer with amorphous silicon overlay DBR," Applied Optics, v.43, pp.671-677, 2004.
- Jaeyoun Kim, K. A. Winick, C. Florea, and M. McCoy, "Design and fabrication of low-loss hydrogenated amorphous silicon overlay DBR for glass waveguide devices," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, v.8, pp.1307-1315, 2002.
- Jaeyoun Kim, O. Boyraz, J.-H. Lim, and M. N. Islam, "Gain enhancement in cascaded fiber parametric amplifier with quasi-phase matching: theory and experiment," Journal of Lightwave Technology, v.19, pp.247-251, 2001.
- O. Boyraz, Jaeyoun Kim, M. N. Islam, F. Coppinger, and B. Jalali, "10 Gb/s multiple wavelength, coherent short pulse source based on spectral carving of supercontinuum generated in fibers," Journal of Lightwave Technology, v.18, pp.2167-2175, 2000.
- G. A. Nowak, Jaeyoun Kim, and M. N. Islam, "Stable supercontinuum generation in short length of conventional dispersion-shifted fiber," Applied Optics, v.38, pp.7364-7369, 1999.